I Glove Breakfast

Do you ever notice when you order your food at many places that the food handlers wear gloves? And sometimes they do all sorts of things with their gloved hands then handle your food? Don't you just want to say, "Did you know that those gloves are actually supposed to be for MY protection?"

"What raises this?" you might ask. Well, this morning I decided I wanted a breakfast sandwich so I went to a local hole in the wall and ordered. There was only one dude on duty, the regular register person must have been on break. He rips his rubber glove off of one hand, handles my money transaction with the ungloved hand being very careful to not touch anything else with his gloved hand, then places a new glove on the ungloved hand and proceeds to prepare my meal. Although not ideal this was an acceptable practice to me. Because he was so careful not to use the gloved hand to handle the money (or anything else) is the only reason I think I noticed.

I cannot tell you how many places I have been where the staff has done so many things with their gloved hands that I'd rather not think about it enough to repeat any of the sightings, the proceeded to prepare a food item. Those places I have walked out of. Do they not get it? Those gloves are for my protection, not so they don't get my food on their hands! If they want to avoid getting food on their hands then they should work in retail clothing or something else.

Anyway, my sandwich was excellent and I ate it all! Yum!

2 comments:

Eryn said...

Thanks for this post! I've been known to ask the kids at our local subway (it's the only "restaurant" in our town...) to change their gloves.

Also, once you think about how the people who handle your money also handle your food, without or without gloves, it's hard to enjoy yourself.

We could worry ourselves sick trying to keep from getting sick!

shengy said...

i guess some companies are practicing this nowadays..it's really hard to be a victim of food poisoning...