The Value of Education

I sit here this morning at home after dropping my children off for school. On Fridays I volunteer to correct math timed tests in both of my children's classrooms but I cannot start until 8:30 which gives the children time to get settled and take the test, then I can sneak in and correct them while the children move onto their next activity.

Last year I tried to volunteer to do things from home but nothing ever was sent home and my children constantly reminded me that "so and so's mom came to the class today". So, this year I decided that even though I do work more than full time I would show my children that I think what they are doing at school is important, important enough, in fact, that I will go to work late on Fridays. Don't get me wrong, I have never missed a performance or an important school event, I just did not volunteer in the class before. I thought in being there for the important events I was showing my enthusiasm for their school achievements but I have to say I was wrong, at least in their eyes.

Each week when I show up in class my son beams, comes over and gives me a hug, and checks on me several times while I am there. My daughter is so happy that I come to her class, too. She checks with me each week to see when it is I am coming to her class. I have to say that if I had known that it meant so much to them I would have tried to swing it before now.

I think it also gives me a good perspective on what the children are actually learning. I sometimes forget that my children are only seven and they still have so much more to learn so actually going to their class and seeing first hand what they are working on brings me back to reality, sometimes.

In addition, I always tell the children how important education is to them which is probably a difficult concept to grasp as a child. But, now I feel like I am involved directly in showing how important I think it is and I think they can see it too.

Being a Member of the PTA: $23
School Spirit Wear: $86
Classroom Donation: $60
The Value of Education: Priceless

0 comments: