Total Reform

So, I have been pondering much about the state of the economy and how government just cannot seem to keep up with its spending initiatives. I guess, from my last post, you are clear about that! So, I have an idea that will be quite unpopular for some and, probably, quite popular for others, here it is:

Since this is the technology age, instead of having government offices for everything under the sun staffed in many places with many people and many computers and much overhead cost, why don't we require that some things be done by computer, and by computer only. If you do not have a computer there are computers available in every library and other public spots. You may use those. Can you imagine the amount of money we would save?

I know you are thinking, "Like what services?" So, here's what I am thinking, car registration and other automobile related transactions (there is no reason why most of these cannot be done online, of course there are exceptions here, like the actual driving exam); tax forms and advice (no more local IRS or state outlets but call centers would be available if you cannot find your answer online but you may have a wait ahead of you); those are the most obvious to me but there are hundreds of other opportunities to cut here. That way we could take the money the various governments continue to take from the education coffers and put it back.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!