The Walking City

Boston is apparently billed out as "The Walking City" so the advertisements say. And I believe it! I walked everywhere while I was there because I was on my own with no children in tow. Had I had my children with me, I assure you, things would have been different.





One of the things I wanted to do was go to Fenway Park, I knew I did not have time to tour the park or see a game but I needed to get some official Boston gear for my son - special request. I walked into the visitor's center and asked for directions to Fenway. The kind fellow behind the counter briskly flipped out a map and showed me where I was staying and where I needed to go. (Mind you, this was all after he explained to me that Boston is very safe and you can walk just about anywhere.) He marked on the map the location of my hotel and then circled Fenway Park. From my inexperienced view point, it looked walkable. I asked the kind fellow if it was walkable and this was his response, "Oh no, that's too far. You need to get on the T [the Boston subway] and go two stops." Can you imagine the look on my face? I work in a large city and any subway that you only have to take for two stops, most walkable!





I chose to take the subway anyway because other intelligence I had suggested that the Yankees were in town and they close off the official store when it gets close to game time. I did not want to chance missing my opportunity. I found the official team store, made my purchases which were a "red hat with a B on it", "a red jacket with a B on it", and a surprise t shirt, red, of course, that has Matsuzaka's name on it in Japanese kana characters.





I'm sure these items will be a hit assuming my luggage ever finds its way back to me. But that's another story.

0 comments: